Monday, September 19, 2016

Summertime Catsup

Summertime 2016, the livin' wasn't easy. Catfish weren't jumpin' and Dorothy Dandrige was nowhere to be found.

Besides The Big Move (see previous posts because I will never mention it again), the last few months have been filled, quite frankly, with plenty o' nothin', but nothin' wasn't plenty for me.I have no one to blame but myself. This is my pity party and I'll whine if I want to.

The high point was the opportunity to see my son Matt Silber perform his first ever stand-up set at Helium Comedy Club here in Portland. He had taken the Stand Up Comedy 101 course at the club taught by local comic Alex Falcone. The "graduation ceremony" involved performing in front of a live audience and quite frankly, Matt killed, as they say in the biz and I was proud as punch, as they say nowhere.

But other than that outing, I didn't venture very far and chose to be a shut-in for most of the season. Boo on me. I did manage to finish another play and made some headway on a long gestating project, but for the most part, I sat in front the TV so often, my ass skin nearly melded to the leather couch.

I caught up on a butt-load of movies, most notably THE BIG SHORT, SPOTLIGHT, DEADPOOL (almost too meta for its own good but when it worked, it was a nasty delight), CREED (a big and pleasant surprise), THE GIFT, a little British comedy called WHAT WE DID ON OUR HOLIDAY, HELLO, MY NAME IS DORIS (not as cloying as expected and actually very moving in places, mostly thanks to Sally Field) and, best of all, BONE TOMAHAWK, a horror Western with a script that ran circles around Tarantino's bloated  and disappointing HATEFUL 8. Add to the mix a slew of other comic book movies of varying quality-ANT MAN, BATMAN VS SUPERMAN, AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON that I became numb after awhile.

What I found more enjoyable than those were my latest guilty pleasure, craptacular Lifetime movies, particularly those starring Eric Roberts. Here's a guy, a past Academy Award nominee whose career bumps should have propelled him deep into the Dreaded Depths of Despair, throwing caution to the wind and giving his all to wretched material, elevating them with performances so over the top, they are a joy to behold. Check out my personal favorite, STALKED BY MY DOCTOR, and believe me, you won't be sorry. (That is, unless, you're his sister, Julia.) Roberts has to be the modern incarnation of John Carradine. His IMDB lists 443 movie roles, with over 50 in post or pre production over the next year at this writing. A man's gotta make a living, even one as bat shit crazy as this one.

And last night, the Emmy award show proved to be more enjoyable than it has been in years, mostly thanks to host Jimmy Kimmel. While the wins for The People vs OJ Simpson were glorious, I couldn't be happier for my girl, Tatiana Maslany picking up the Best Actress in a Drama Series award. ORPHAN BLACK, represent!

So even though I am sicker than Cujo with some rabid flu I picked up in the last couple of days, bring on the autumn, baby! This illness will pass and it's time to dive headfirst into the best season of the year.

No comments: