Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Plague's The Thing

Welcome to the first edition of The Uncertain Times
All the news that'll give you fits

Greetings from the front lines!

I'm one of those folks who is not working from home (or not not working from home as the case    may be). For me, as well as some of many of us out here,it's been business as usual, albeit with some changes to our regular routines.

You see, I work in the healthcare industry. While not directly dealing with patients, I am considered by my organization
as a caregiver. It's actually a catch-all word to give us some sort of dignity or purpose when, if truth be told, we are only employees. This applies to the maintenance staff, food services, etc etc etc. The thing is we're all out here helping
to get the job done collectively. Sure, the nurses, the doctors, et al., are getting much deserved accolades since they are in the thick of battle trying to fight this invisible enemy and care for its many victims. But you know what? We all deserve heaping helpings of praise along with everyone that has been working through this..

The thing is, we "caregivers" don't know we're facing either and it was scary as all get-out in the early days. I myself transport Covid-19 test samples from clinics on a daily basis taking the utmost care that is provided to me while utilizing PPE and sanitizing myself several times a day. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, along with the lab technicians, medical assistants and anyone else in this wide open field of screams. And, like them, I don't really have a choice.

The fear and anxiety during the first wave has subsided though it hasn't made this pandemic any less serious. Early on, I had an honest to crap melt-down, damn near resulting in a panic attack when dealt with my first specimen. The information given us at the time was limited at best, so don't think that wasn't a reason to freak the frick out. If that wasn't enough, I am constantly reminded of what germy souvenirs I could bring home, endangering the one person I love most in this crazy goddamn world. As more has been learned along the way and the misinformation has been dialed down (despite one Fathead in Chief's diatribe about disinfectant and ultra-violet butt lights), the tension has lowered while the danger unfortunately remains as the hits keep right on a'comin'.

What I've observed while being out here in the world when the rest of you weren't is that it has all seemed so normal, especially with Spring in full bloom. At the same time, the populace is being infected and dying by an invisible enemy, putting everyone all on high alert. Since then, it's been slow going during these last few weeks. A lack of human presence on the streets has such an eerie calm. Add a heaping helping of the fear factor and you've got the new normal. If I had to give it a name, I'd call it Paranoid Boredom.

One of my big concerns these days is that this constant high alert has begun to dull the senses to the point of causing a lackadaisical response. Mistakes will be made if those of us out here are too complacent about it all. My temperature is taken a couple of times a day when I enter a hospital or clinic, but I've noticed that those manning these stations don't bother to look up from their phones when someone enters their area. Surprise, surprise. Mostly, the utmost care is being taken in businesses I still have to visit and I for one am grateful for their diligence.
Please go the edge of Flat Earth and jump the fuck off

The quarantine is helping and hurting at the same time. The Covid  is being held at bay as a result but human-and inhuman-nature is making a bunch of loonies in the process, most of which didn't have far to go to begin with. Sure was east to topple over that basket of deplorables and there they are, semi-autos and Confederate flags in hand, yelling "Our Bodies, Ourselves". (Say what?) Yeah, the economy is in the dumper and people do indeed have to get back to the high cost of living again. I'm employed while so many are not. I'm not speaking from a lofty, elitist position, just another working stiff. I'm still making the same shit wages I was before all this, trying to make ends meet. This thing is going to get dragged out even further with more deaths on the way if stupidity rules the waves. Slow your roll, people. Heed the words of The Outlaw Josey Wales : "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy."

In the meantime, I'll be out there again tomorrow, dealing with the Corona-Covid contagion, dodging the sickies and fighting the good fight for you, for me and for a paycheck.

Why?
Because I have to.
It's my job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the daring work you are doing Scott and all those on the front lines who have/want to contribute to a positive end.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Scott and Please stay safe too Thank you. Health posts also at https://stayjid2000.blogspot.com/