Sunday, August 13, 2006

It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp

Just like Terrence Howard in Craig Brewer’s HUSTLE AND FLOW (a fine film by the by), it is indeed
hard out here for a pimp. In my case, I gotta hustle and flow my book, which I haven’t really done on this heah blog thang. Sure I’ve mentioned book numero uno, IN THE DARK: A LIFE AND TIMES IN A MOVIE THEATER (available from Amazon.com, et al), but as of yet, I’ve kind of neglected my second child and it’s time I took care of my own. After all, I am my baby’s daddy.

Last year through the wonderful folks at Lulu.com, I published a collection of original comedy material entitled NOW THAT’S FUNNY! These pieces are an array of sketches, gags and monologues that I wrote for the Palace Showboat Theater at Pollardville in Stockton, California during my “tenure” with that wondrous establishment lo, so many years ago. The Ville, as we called it, specialized in a stage format that was not very prevalent then and even less so now, that being a two part show consisting of an old fashioned melodrama and vaudeville show. The Ville had its own unique variation on these formulas, updating them to keep more in step with the times without losing the flavor of the originals. I wrote three melos for that stage and several comedy bits for the vaudeville end. After I left the theater, all of my stuff went into storage because I never quite knew what to do with them. Vanity kept me from shredding everything and turning it into packing material . What to do? Hence…da book I now pimp.

I took the best stuff, reworked it a bit and added some anecdotal material about life at the Ville and some the best people in the world that I was fortunate to be associated with during that period. By the way, NOW THAT’S FUNNY!, the presumptuous title of the book, is the punchline to an old vaudeville bit. It also sets me up as a target if’n y’all don’t agree. You may fire when ready…after you buy a copy.

Now all the material in NOW THAT’S FUNNY! are all available on a non-royalty basis. That means if you buy the book, you have complete permission to stage them for whatever you may choose. They are perfect for any vaudeville, variety or comedy show. Just remember that they are copyrighted and those laws state you can’t put your name on my stuff. Use them, abuse them, just give me the credit where credit is due.

Contained within the pages of NOW THAT’S FUNNY are over twenty sketches, blackouts and monologues in all, including:

2-count ‘em-2 sketches starring King Kong, the Eighth Wonder of the World:
MONKEYSHINES and KING KONG AND FRIEND
Also:
CHOCK FULL O PRUNES- The latest in FAST food
CIVILWAR 2- The sequel to the great American war only this time it’s a the battle between North and South…California
OR NOT TO BE-Boxing legend Schlomo the Slugger takes on HAMLET
IF YOU KNEW SUSHI-He cooks, he sings, he tells jokes…Why, he’s a regular Samurai Davis Jr.!
and
DADDY GOOSE-the monologue that won that won the Northern California Comedy Competition featuring the hipster fairy tale CINDERBABY
and many, many more

NOW THAT’S FUNNY! is now on sale for $12.95 in print or as a downloadable e-book for under $5. Go ahead. There aren’t any pictures and you can save yourself a couple of bucks.

“Well, that all well and good, Scott. Where can I get such a fabulous book?”

Thank you for asking.
If you got to Lulu.com
OR if you click on the title of this blog
OR go to Amazon.com
OR if you don’t feel comfortable enough to buy it over the internet, you can order at your local bookstore with this info
The title again is
NOW THAT’S FUNNY! THE COMEDY SKETCHES OF SCOTT CHERNEY

For even mo' info....GO TO MY WEBSITE SCOTT CHERNEY.COM

As I write this, preparations are being made for a big Ville reunion next year, our grand finale since Pollardville is going away, the property being sold and the whole kit ‘n kaboodle will be closed for good at the end of this year. I’ll have more to say about this as the time gets closer, but for now, let me say “Adios” to a place I called my home and has never left my thoughts or my heart. I dedicate this book to this incredible playground where I spent some of the best years of my life.

So before I get all weepy and such… BUY MY BOOK, DAMN Y’ALL! AND DO IT TODAY…OR TOMORROW…OR NEXT WEEK SOMETIME…AFTER DR. PHIL…
DO IT SO I WILL NEVER HAVE TO PIMP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word.

2 comments:

Jen said...

found ya via blogmad.

Anonymous said...

SCOTT! well... so, in the most round about way, I've now found you - and it warms me to the very cockles of my uh, not going there...

I'm off to read your blog - feel free to visit mine (the photo will help you to identify me... ;-))

http://www.justmomentsago.blogspot.com

...d...
Dorothy