Friday, August 18, 2017

The Canyon Kid's Summer Vacation

For the unprecedented (for me, anyway) FOURTH year in a row, my melodrama, Song of the Canyon Kid, is now playing at a theater near you, provided of course that you live in the southeastern part of Minnesota.

The Mantorville Theatre Company is running the saga of The Canyon Kid from August 18 through September 9, the last of their annual melodrama summer series. I am tickled pink to have my show on their stage. When I began sending the script out after the Great American Melodrama and Vaudeville Theater decided to produce it, the first since its initial Pollardville run, I researched other similar theaters across the country. One of the names that kept coming up was the Mantorville Theatre Co. So, I reached out to them and was graciously rejected with the the encouraging postscript to try again the next year. So I did. And I did. And I did. lo and behold, the fourth time was the charm. A Mantorville angel named Melisa Ferris guided me through all this, putting up with me every single time  and helping The Canyon Kid to ride into Minnesota at long last.
The Mantorville Theatre Co. cast of Song of the Canyon Kid

This is the grand finale for my shows this year (unless somebody contacts me at the last minute for a late fall/early winter production of ... anything!) Dead Tuesday and Murder:The Final Frontier racked up some performances earlier this year in territories my plays have never been with Sugar High Theatricals in Illinois and the
San Luis Valley Theatre Company in Colorado. Along with the Mantorville Theatre Company in Minnesota, I am conquering the USA one state at a time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. (I know it's actually only one theater at a time, but whuddayagonnado? I could claim Egypt too since I'm also in denial.)

As I do with every opening night of my shows, I break out the glass boot mug my stepdaughter Tracey bought for me and fill it with a special frothy beverage. I then hoist it in the air and toast whatever theater is showcasing my work. This is going to be a two-fer toast. I most certainly salute the Mantorville Theatre Company, but since my beverage of choice is Dale's Pale Ale from Colorado, I tip my hat in total gratitude to my family in Denver where we  recently spent a fine family reunion/vacation. I love you guys with all my heart. This two events together made this a summer to remember.

Cheers!

For more info about Song of the Canyon Kid, please visit my website:
WRITTEN BY SCOTT CHERNEY

No comments: