Tuesday, February 22, 2011

And the Oscar Goes to...


Because I don't give two hoots in hell for any sporting event, I have always claimed that the Academy Awards show is my Super Bowl. As such, I always have an opinion, one way or another, about who' is going to win what and why. This year is no exception, therefore here are my picks, predictions, educated guesses and eeny-meeny-miney-moes.
Picture: THE SOCIAL NETWORK
This would get my vote over the other nine nominees for sheer merit above anything else, a rather stupid statement since that should be the purpose of any award. But then again, we're talking about the Oscars, aren't we? Network's main competition is The King's Speech, said to be the feel-good movie that Oscar voters just freakin' love. (I have yet to see it at this writing) I'm going with the early favorite and because, as I said in my last post, it IS that damn good.
Actor: Colin Firth
No brainer. The only lock of the night. If Firth won last year, I would pick Jeff Bridges this time.
Who's on Firth? I don't know. He's on third and I don't give a damn.
Actress: Natalie Portman
This still might go to Annette Bening for actually being likable on screen for the first time since The Grifters, but Nat's won everything so far so she gets it for Black Swan's only prize.
Supporting Actor: Christian Bale
Probably a lock also. Maybe Bale's been forgiven for his YouTube rant n' rave a couple of years back. If not, it's Geoffrey Rush.
Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo
She's gotten a lot of flak for campaigning for herself in the trade papers (since when is this a crime against Hollywood nature?) but I think she's got it, a one-two punch for The Fighter w/Bale.
Director: David Fincher
Social Network, baby. One of four award wins.
Original Screenplay: David Seidler (The King's Speech)
Probably deservedly so. just for pure tenacity of the screenwriter who worked on this project for literally decades.
Adapted Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin (Social Network)
Another lock, this time for the best screenplay since another Network back in the 1970s. Hope Sorkin's high on 'shrooms Sunday too. makes for a better acceptance speech.
Foreign Film: BIUTIFUL
This is the consolation prize for Javier Bardem's nomination for the same film.
Documentary: EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP
If you know who Banksy is by this film or just his reputation, again, another potentially amusing acceptance.
Animated Feature: TOY STORY 3
Duh. How many will this make for Pixar?
Cinematography: Roger Deakins (True Grit)
Best in the biz.
Original Score: Hans Zimmer (Inception)
Ditto.
And the rest:
Film Editing: THE SOCIAL NETWORK
Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing: INCEPTION
Art Direction, Costume Design: ALICE IN WONDERLAND
Song: TOY STORY 3
Makeup: THE WOLFMAN
Doc Short: POSTER GIRL
Animated Short: DAY 7 NIGHT (Pixar again)
Live Action Short:NA WEWE
So am I right or am I wrong? We shall see come Sunday night...or hell or high water, whatever that means.
Let the betting begin!

No comments: